The Marathon Continues
Today marks Nipsey's 1-year anniversary of his death. I still remember the first song i'd ever heard by him, 'Check me out' feat Dom Kennedy (2013). I can play that song today 7 years later and still feel the same energy. Not only was his music timeless, he was truly an inspiration to the community. He advocated black excellence, then followed it up with actions, while unapologetically staying true to himself. His legacy will never fade away.
41 inspirational Nipsey Hussle quotes I cherish
1. “Thought is powerful in all phases. Even in my career, even in my life, things ended up exactly how I visualized them.”
2. “I never wanted to alienate my brand for business. I always wanted to keep it authentic and keep as pure as I could.”
3. “On a mission your worst enemy is idle time.”
4. “We got turned down, we failed, had setbacks, had to start over a lot of times. But we kept going at it. In anybody’s case that’s always the distinguishing factor."
5. “I’m about seeing long-term, seeing a vision, understanding nothing really worthwhile happens overnight, and just sticking to your script long enough to make something real happen.”
6. “My thing is that I don’t give no person that much power over my path that I’m walking. Not one person can make or break what I’m doing, except me or God.”
7. “Instead of trying to build a brick wall, lay a brick every day. Eventually you’ll look up and you’ll have a brick wall.”
8. “Without a game plan and without a strong sense of faith in what you’re doing, it’s gonna be real hard to accomplish anything.”
9. “And it’s possible to monetize your art without compromising the integrity of it for commerce.”
10. “Most important thing is to get rid of doubt. If you got doubt in what you’re doing it’s not gonna work.”
11. “Luck is just being prepared at all times, so when the door opens you’re ready.”
12. “I knew I wanted to work for myself when I was about eleven.”
13.“When I visualized success it looked like right now.”
14.“If you’ve got a plan, it’s not just like a dream. You have a step-by-step list of things to do to get to your goal.”
15. “I feel that luck is a product of hard work.”
16. “I just believe in ownership. I believe in investing in yourself."
17. “We’re not the cause, we’re the effect.”
18. “You’ve got to have faith in what you’re doing and not take no for an answer.”
19. “If you sharing your success and not your struggle, you’s a fool.”
20. “If you don’t have a plan, it’s very hard to really have faith in what you’re doing ’cause soon as something pop up, it’s gonna look like the end-all.”
21. “I’m more focused on giving solutions and inspiration more than anything.”
22. “Sometimes you have to take two steps back to take ten forward.”
23. “I’m at peace with what I’m doing, I feel good with what I wake up doing and about my lifestyle.”
24. “Try to have more faith and less fear, try to express it to your peers, I’m talking about dreams. Better to do it and let it be seen, cause then it’s so clear.”
25. "I will never say something I don't agree with or believe in... even if the reward is massive!"
26. "I say that in the most humble way: I always knew that I could perform with the best of 'em and I could deliver with the best of 'em."
27. "As an entrepreneur, as an investor, I'm trying to be as educated as I can to where the progression of technological capability is going and what it does to these different categories that, me as an artist and an influencer, I can get involved and bring value."
28. "We don't want to wait on someone to hire us and give us a check. We want to create our own opportunities."
29. "I think that every artist - or anybody that's in business - could benefit from a direct-to-consumer strategy, so I think that that applies to us as artists and content creators, too."
30. "I'm not in it for fame. I've been famous in the streets already."
31. "I'm touring the world, not doing nothing against the law, getting money to feed my family. I got employees that have felonies, and they can't get jobs. They work for me."
32. "It's not called quitting if you quit while you ahead. It's about being aware and being strategic enough to know that you got to get out the pool at some point. You got to put your clothes back on and dry off."
33. "Material things ain't nothing. You feel me? At the end of the day, it's who you is. You wasn't born with it; you gon' die without it."
34. "I went through every emotion with tryna pursue what I'm doing, you know what I mean? And I think what's gon' separate whoever's gon go for something, that you ain't gon' quit."
35. "Looking at 2014, I look back: we made more money off 'Mailbox Money' than we would have made off taking an advance from anybody. We made more money letting our fans buy the stuff directly from us than what any label could have offered us."
36. "I believe that we should own the fruits of our labor and the assets of our creations."
37. "Being self-made means never making an excuse as to why you can't take steps toward whatever your goal is."
38. "It sounds simple telling people to work hard and never quit, but to really execute and demonstrate those principles takes discipline and faith. Those are the two factors that I believe separate the good from the great, the successes from the failures."
39. "Even as you make progress, you need the discipline to keep from backtracking and sabotaging the success as it's happening."
40. "Black people in America, people from the struggle, immigrants, it's no generational wealth that we are attached to, so we are tasked to create - in one generation - closing the gap. That's why we so Doomsday about getting to the check: 'cause it's life or death for real."
41. "You're not going to scare me into being somebody I don't want to be."
In loving memory of Nipsey Hussle, the marathon continues.